Thursday, July 16, 2009

Pie 102



I took my own advice from Pie 101 and made a blueberry pie last weekend. How could I not? I came into a flat of Jersey blueberries for only $6 on Friday.

I washed and picked over three pint containers of berries – there wasn’t a bad one in the bunch or a single green berry – let them dry and put together my scant cup of solids: three heaping tablespoons cornstarch, a pinch of salt and white sugar. I sprinkled that over the berries then added the zest of a lemon. There was, as usual, no time involved, but a ton of flavor resulting.

The only time consuming part, if you could call it that, was creating the lattice top. The first time I made one, years ago, was a patchy mess without fully weaving the strips of pastry dough in and out of each other. After a while, I just laid them slap on top of the fruit. I prefer not to remember that incident. However, with good, chilled dough and a pizza wheel or pastry cutter to make strips, it’s not that difficult to achieve attractive results.

Once done, brush the top with melted butter, an egg wash or heavy cream, then sprinkle with turbinado or any large-crystal sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment