Monday, July 27, 2009

Harvest II


This entry will be short and sweet, but the garden is long on flavor and becoming heavy on production. As I mentioned last week, the chard went to my dad. I prepared it with him, using a little olive oil, garlic, S, P and a spritz of lemon at the end. He devoured it – which is good, since the chard keeps regenerating beyond my rate of consumption. I also gave a nice-sized bag of the purple pole beans to my sister on Thursday - I was glad to, she's great. And my daughter was very proud to do so.

I’ve also harvested chervil, other herbs, another bowlful of lettuce – little bits that I should calculate, but I’m just not in the mood to nickel and dime. The garden has given me a great deal, both physically and otherwise.

Everything else is producing steadily, and a few SunGold cherry tomatoes have ripened to orange. None has made it to the table – picked, eaten and savored on the spot. The picture at right was taken on Wednesday; the week’s harvest was tallied as of Saturday, the 25th:

Chard: 1 @ $2= $2.00
Kirby Cukes: 1 lb @ $.99/lb (Shop Rite price)= $.99
Lemon Cukes: 2 lb @ $.99 = $1.98
Haricot Verts: 1 lb @ $2.49/lb= $2.49
Kwintus Beans: 2 lbs @1.29/lb = $2.58
Purple Pole Beans: Over 2 lbs @ $2=$4
2 lbs Pattypan squash @ $1.50: $3
Total: $17.04

Expenditures: $49.70
Less Harvest: $38.60 ($21.56 + $17.04)
Total: - $11.10

I never thought the break-even point would be on its way so early!

No comments:

Post a Comment