Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Army of Mice

Am I becoming kitschy in my old age?

Perhaps I’ve just been having more fun with my food lately. First, it was the fish mold. Last weekend, it was an army of mice: chocolate covered strawberries with two beady eyes, jelly bean ears and licorice whip tails. My daughter and I had a heckuva fun time putting the display together as a surprise treat for her nursery school class.

It was just a fun thing to do for Sunday Baking, and I’m still not quite sure how we came up with the idea. But apparently the “theme” conveniently coalesced with the recent curriculum: Ancient Egypt.

While we were dipping and decorating, my daughter mentioned, “Did you know that cats drove all the mice out of ancient Egypt?” She then continued to inform me that cats were revered and celebrated throughout the ages through art, hieroglyphics and bejeweled statues. She is four.

I love that school.

So we put a cat figurine in the middle of the tray for effect when we finished, then laughed and licked all of the bowls and utensils clean.

Tip: I like to pulverize the chocolate either in the food processor or with a mallet to speed (and ease) smooth melting in the scant amount of hot cream used.

No comments:

Post a Comment