Tuesday, June 23, 2009

An Apple for the Teacher

It was my swan song, but it could have been my Waterloo.


Pencil shaped cookies bearing the names of every student in my daughter’s pre-school class. Her graduation and show took place Monday night and I worked off and on through the weekend to make them. For good measure, I also added sparkling red apples with fondant leaves and diplomas tied in shoelace licorice to the mix.

They wowed the crowd. Plus, each of the kids over the school year had learned to recognize or read his or her name. So after their little show, the kids made a squealing scramble to claim their cookies. The large tray display looked like that for inside of two minutes once the kids got to it. It was great to see them so excitedly claim each name. Then the parents picked it clean.

I didn’t have a pencil-shaped cookie cutter, and looked high & low for one to no avail, but I could not let go of this named-pencil idea. So I used a clear ruler from my sewing and pattern making supplies and a pizza cutter to make 6” x 1” rectangles. (See Below) A sharp knife shaped the tips.

All remaining elements, recipes, tips and techniques used can be found in a past entry, Queen of Royal Icing.

2 comments:

  1. Visiting as your blog popped up 'cause of my blog name. Very interesting cookies. Have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to meet you - and I love your handle. Aren't all women Jills of All Trades?

    ReplyDelete